How it Works
How it Works
BugSnub® Insect Blocking Gel creates a physical barrier that is too goopy for ants and some other crawling insects to walk across. It is a mineral oil based gel made from 100% food grade ingredients that is formulated to keep its consistency at a wide range of temperatures. It won't melt or dry up in hot weather. It doesn't trap ants. It is applied to the inside of an upside down cup, so it is protected from being bumped by your hands or wildlife, and it keeps out large pieces of falling debris. One application can last all year.
A thick layer that makes a complete ring is required.
1. Tear or cut the corner of the packet of BugSnub® gel.
2. Squeeze at least 1/2 of a packet of BugSnub® gel into the insect deterrent cup.
3. & 4. Smear the gel evenly inside the cup.
• Your nectar feeder must be free hanging (don't allow it to touch other things like tree branches, which will allow ants to bypass the BugSnub® ant guard).
• Occasionally inspect the gel for foreign debris like dust, grass clippings, or spider webs, that could create a bridge for ants across the gel.
Tips for Best Results
- Don't let your food bowl, tray, or hummingbird feeder touch any other objects, such as a wall or tall weeds. This could allow ants to bypass the BugSnub® insect deterrent cup.
- Occasionally inspect the insect deterrent cup for pet hair, lint, dust, or spider webs that could become stuck in the gel. This could create a bridge across the gel for ants.
- Make sure the gel forms a thick, complete ring inside the insect deterrent cup. Any very thin or dry looking patches will allow ants to pass through. The gel is a physical (not chemical) barrier.
- Each packet has enough gel for about 1 or 2 applications. Each application can last longer than a year.
- For BugSnub tray legs, it is not necessary to put gel in the holes. They are a feature of the plastic molding process that allows a wide, sturdy base that can cool evenly without shrinkage.
- BugSnub® products can be used indoors and outdoors. The insect blocking gel is food grade, waterproof, and does not become runny or dry in extremely hot weather. (Inspect the insect deterrent cup for dust or grass clippings that could become stuck in the gel after very windy weather).
- For raised pet feeders that came with suction cup bowl mounts: Before attaching the bowl to the suction cup mount, clean the suction cup and the bottom of the bowl with soapy water, and then dry. This will ensure a clean, strong bond. The suction cup may need to be re-seated occasionally.